Division of Humanities & Social Sciences
The mission of the Office of the Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences is to uphold the academic rigor and standards of the division, and to ensure the quality of the personnel, curricula, and resources needed by the departments and programs in the division, as they engage in excellent teaching, research, scholarship, and creative activities and the creation and dissemination of new knowledge. September 2010
Role of the Office
The Office supports the Dean in supervising faculty recruitment, appointment, reappointment, tenure, and promotion; in implementing academic policies and supporting inclusive excellence; in maintaining an outstanding array, depth, and quality of divisional undergraduate and graduate programs. The Office supports the Dean in upholding the quality of student learning and ensuring a culture of well-articulated student learning and program outcomes.
The goals of the Office of the Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences are consistent with the Strategic Directions of the College.
Division Strategic Priority 1: High-Quality Academic Programs
Correlates with the College’s Strategic Direction 1 - Develop a richer array of rigorous undergraduate and graduate degree programs that meet students’ educational and professional aspirations.
- 1.1 Ensure the success of all students.
- 1.2 Demonstrate program quality through acknowledgement by external sources such as accreditation bodies and honors organizations.
- 1.3 Foster development of rigorous undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Division Strategic Priority 2: Research, Exploration and Innovation
Correlates with the College’s Strategic Direction 2 - Enhance the quality and recognition of research, scholarship, and creative works for faculty and students.
- 2.1. Promote the development and dissemination of research, scholarship, and creative work by faculty.
- 2.2. Promote research and creative work by students.
- 2.3. Foster opportunities for innovation and discovery.
Division Strategic Priority 3: Collaboration and Partnership Engagement
Correlates with the College’s Strategic Direction 3 - Become a more vibrant center of intellectual and cultural exchange through community partnerships.
- 3.1 Promote innovation through interdisciplinary collaborations.
- 3.2 Establish collaborative relationships with university and community partners.
Division Strategic Priority 4: Excellence and Diversity
Correlates with the College’s Strategic Direction 4 - Strengthen and increase our ability to serve a diverse campus community.
- 4.1 Support college inclusive excellence through curricular and co-curricular activities.
- 4.2 Provide a supportive environment to ensure the success of all students, faculty, and staff.
Division Strategic Priority 5: Resources (Advancement & Fundraising)
Correlates with the College’s Strategic Direction 5 - Position the College to achieve greater regional, national and international recognition through advancement and fund raising activities.
- 5.1 Maximize external support for faculty work.
- 5.2 Maximize external support for students’ needs and initiatives.
Division Strategic Priority 6: Academic Technology
Correlates with the College’s Strategic Direction 6 - Examine the College’s current and possible future uses of technology for a wide range of purposes.
- 6.1 Ensure the availability of technological resources for faculty success.
- 6.2 Ensure the availability of technological resources for student success.
Assessment Plan (PDF)