New Student Information Guide
College Testing Office
South Administration Building (1A), Room 104
(718) 982 2380
All new students entering CSI must demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics through a series of CUNY Skills Assessment Tests prior to advisement and registration. Some students may satisfy this requirement by achieving the necessary scores on the Regents, ACT, or SAT exams, or with college-level English and math courses (transfer students only).
You will automatically receive a testing appointment in the mail from CSI or another CUNY school. Please try your best to make your first scheduled appointment, as it will impact your ability to enroll.
The Office of Academic Support offers a variety of workshops and self-study materials for newly admitted CSI students who need to take the CUNY Assessment Tests. In addition to the workshops, online reference materials are available for students who choose to prepare for their initial assessment tests on their own.
The Immersion Programs are intensive workshops which provide an opportunity for students who need to demonstrate proficiency on the CUNY Assessment Tests to receive tuition-free instruction in reading, writing and mathematics during the summer and/or Winter intersession. Students will retake the CUNY Assessment Test(s) in the discipline(s) in which they receive instruction during the program.
CONDITIONAL ADMISSIONS/REMEDIATION POLICY for NON-EXEMPT STUDENTS
The outcomes of the CUNY Assessments Tests may impact your admission status and enrollment at the college. Please be aware of the following enrollment requirements:
All students who have failed
- parts 1 & 2 of the CUNY Assessment Test in Mathematics are required to complete CSI's free July Math Immersion program prior to enrolling at the College.
- the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics (parts 1 & 2) cannot participate in Immersion. These students must enroll in and complete at least one semester of the CUNYStart program and pass one or more of the Assessment Tests in order to enroll at the college.
- the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading and Writing but have failed one part of the Mathematics Test must enroll in and complete Reading and Writing Immersion in the July and August sessions. Upon completing Immersion, these students must have passed the Reading and Writing Assessment tests in order to enroll at the College and must register for and complete Math 020 in the semester following Immersion. Students who have not passed both must enroll in CUNYStart.
Students who have failed the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading and Writing but have passed at least one part of the Mathematics Test and decide not to enroll in Immersion must enroll in CUNYStart.
In addition to the above policies, students admitted for a Spring Semester
- who passed the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading and Writing but failed Mathematics (parts 1 & 2) must enroll in basic math in Winter Immersion. If they pass, they must enroll in and complete Math 020 in the spring semester. If they do not pass, or choose not to enroll in Immersion, they must enroll in CUNYStart and cannot enroll at the College.
- who have failed two of the three CUNY Assessment Tests (Reading, Writing and Mathematics) must enroll in and complete at least one semester of the CUNYStart program and cannot participate in Immersion.