What is the CUNY Service Corps?
The CUNY Service Corps will mobilize CUNY students, faculty and staff to work on projects that improve the short and long-term civic, economic and environmental sustainability of New York City and of its residents and communities. The program’s goals are three-fold: for students to make a meaningful difference through service while gaining valuable real-world work experience, earning a wage, and where appropriate, receiving college credit; for faculty members and staff, through their work with students in the program, to have additional opportunities to apply their expertise to addressing many of the city’s key challenges; and for residents, communities, and project sponsors to realize concrete benefits as a result of CUNY Service Corps projects.
How do I apply?
Students interested in applying must attend a CUNY Service Corps information session on campus. For more information and deadlines visit: http://www.cuny.edu/site/servicecorps.html
How long does this program last?
Typical assignments will last twenty-four weeks over two semesters. Participants are required to work 12 hours per week (at a rate of $12.00 an hour)
What are the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible for the CUNY Service Corps, students must:
- Be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits) in the current semester and plan to enroll full-time next semester
- Be working toward a degree at one of the participating CUNY colleges
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average of at least 2.5
- Have earned at least 24 college credits by the end of summer 2014
- Have addressed all remedial education needs prior to beginning fall 2014 classes
- Please note that individuals not currently able to work in the U.S. may apply for the Service Corps, but their participation in the program is subject to changes in federal immigration law.
In addition, the CUNY Service Corps is interested in applicants who demonstrate that they:
- Want to be part of a special and important program that will make a difference in the lives of New Yorkers
- Are interested in helping people, neighborhoods, and/or organizations
- Have previous work experience in a job or as a volunteer or intern
- Can balance work in the CUNY Service Corps with college studies
- Show promise as a leader and a problem-solver
- Are able to work as a member of a team