Through the Study Abroad Peer Advisor Program, the Center for International Service provides leadership and professional development opportunities to our returnees. The Center also benefits from student voice and representation to promote the message of the Center. Additionally, the Study Abroad Peer Advisor program fosters increased awareness of study abroad opportunities, benefits, and scholarships to the CSI community, and allows for future study abroad participants to gain firsthand knowledge of the programs.
Program and Study Abroad Peer Advisor Responsibilities
Those students who are selected to be Study Abroad Peer Advisors for the semester will complete an initial two-hour training and then be required to participate in monthly meetings during the semester. The time commitment, including training, meetings, and regularly scheduled peer advising hours will be approximately 2-6 hours per week, depending upon students’ availability and the schedule of activities and/or events. While not required, Study Abroad Peer Advisors are strongly encouraged to attend events held by the Center, including International Coffee Hours and World on Wednesday (WOW) lectures. Upon successful completion of the Program, including participation in program evaluation, Study Abroad Peer Advisors will be recognized with a certificate of completion from the Center for International Service.
Study Abroad Peer Advisor Responsibilities
- Posting flyers
- Assisting with advising
- Completing research
- Participating in info sessions
- Speaking at pre-departure orientations
- Participating in student panels
- Representing CSI and the Center at local study abroad fairs as well as other events held on campus
- Blogging for Dolphins Across the Seven Seas
- Editing promotional materials
Meet the Study Abroad Peer Advisors
If you're interested in learning more about a specific program or the study abroad experience in general, please contact one of our current Study Abroad Peer Advisors!
- Lena Abdelhamid – Cairo, EGYPT, Spring 2012
- Michael Anselmi – Shanghai, CHINA, Summer 2011
- Kelly DePietro – Florence, ITALY, Summer 2012
- Michael Gigante – Fukuoka, JAPAN, Spring 2012 - PROFILE
- Daniel Giorlando – Shanghai, CHINA, Summer 2012 - PROFILE
- Alicia Jimenez – Paris, FRANCE, Summer 2012
- Mitchell Lovell – Santander, SPAIN, Summer 2012
- Jaime Manus – Venice, ITALY, Spring 2012
- Katherine McSherry – London, ENGLAND, Summer 2012 - PROFILE
- Stephanie Randazzo – London, ENGLAND, Summer 2012 - PROFILE
- Salvatore Sorrentino – Rome, ITALY, Spring 2011 - PROFILE
- Ryan Weitzel – Santander, SPAIN, Summer 2012
How to Get Involved
Study Abroad Peer Advisors, who must be study abroad alumni, are recruited prior to the start of each semester. After submitting an application, qualified applicants will be asked to participate in an interview with the Education Abroad Staff after which a small group of exemplary candidates will be chosen as Study Abroad Peer Advisors.
FALL 2012 Application Deadline – Monday, August 13th
Access the application here!
If you are interested in becoming a Study Abroad Peer Advisor or have questions about the program, please contact Renee Cassidy, Study Abroad Advisor, at Renee.Cassidy@csi.cuny.edu or (718)982-2100.