Pluralism & Diversity Program
What is Pluralism?
Pluralism refers to a social or political environment in which numerous distinct ethnic, religious, or cultural groups coexist (as in one neighborhood, city, nation, institution, or school).
What is Diversity?
A point or respect in which things differ; difference or variety.
What is the Pluralism and Diversity Program?
Pluralism & Diversity at CSI is a program that aims to represent ethnic, religious, and cultural groups through various events and programs on campus. Our on-going goal is to celebrate our diversity while at the same time encouraging a unified campus. The Pluralism and Diversity program encourages and/or sponsors a variety of educational, social, and cultural events throughout the academic year, intended to promote appreciation and respect for the diversity of the College and its surrounding community.
One of the commitments of the College of Staten Island is to create in all aspects of campus life: “… a climate that fosters respect for the pluralism of American society” and explore the many meanings of pluralism in this society.
The Pluralism & Diversity Program strives to:
- Educate about our differences
- Explore our commonalities
- Confront racism
- Challenge sexism
- Face homophobia
- Recognize ageism
- Address other such prejudice through education and enlightened example.
We encourage students to participate in various workshops and events and to learn from diversity! If you are interested in participating in the organization of P&D events contact New Student Programs, North Administration Building (2A), Room 208 at 718.982.2529, or email Pluralism@csi.cuny.edu.
The Pluralism & Diversity Committee 2014-2015
- John Arena – Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
- Winnie Brophy – Special Programs Assistant
Center for International Service
- Danielle Dimitrov– Director
Office of Diversity and Compliance
- Alan Hoffner – Director
College Testing Office
- Jeremiah Jurkiewicz – Coordinator of the LGBTQ Resource Center
Office of Student Life
- Robert King Kee – Coordinator of Student Leadership Development
Office of Student Life
- Michael Maslankowski – Interim Director
Office of New Student Programs
- Frances Meléndez – Director
Masters of Arts in Mental Health Counseling Program
- Brittany Sinodinos – Inclusion CUNYCAP
The Pluralism and Diversity Program