The Verrazano School
What is advisement?
Advisement helps you figure out what you want to study and connects you to resources that can enhance your undergraduate experience and prepare you for the future. You are required to see an advisor before you register for classes, and you’re welcome to come by and ask questions at any time!
Where do you go for advising?
- Have you earned 44 or fewer credits or are undecided on a major? You need to see Cheryl. Call Cynthia at 718-982-4171 to set up an appointment (we don’t do this over email).
- Have you earned 45 or more credits? See an advisor in your major(s). A list of faculty and their office hours is here.
How to prepare
- Write down the questions you still have after reviewing the catalog, this website, and your audit.
- Make sure your transfer credit/AP credit/College Now credits transferred so we know what you have credit for!
- Review the College Catalog and your degree audit to view requirements for your major(s) and minor(s).
- Select courses and sections for the upcoming semester. You are encouraged to take as many Verrazano-designated courses as you can.
You are required to take the Verrazano section of ENG 111, 151, COR 100, and a mathematics course related to your major.
What to bring (mandatory)
You must complete and bring the following two documents to your advising appointment with Cheryl. Your hold will not be removed if you do not bring them, and schedules cannot be approved if they are not complete. You are STRONLY ENCOURAGED to be similarly prepared for your meetings with your departmental advisor.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN
You will meet with Cheryl before the summer to develop your first, full-time, schedule. It will include:
- A learning community: an English class and other relevant courses for your major and general education requirements
- An honors math course
- Additional classes toward your intended major
SPECIAL NOTE FOR SECOND SEMESTER FRESHMEN
Second semester freshmen must select appropriate Verrazano courses associated with your major. Find your major below and click the link to find the required Verrazano courses.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR FIRST SEMESTER TRANSFER STUDENTS
OR ADMITTED AFTER ATTENDING CSI
Meet with Cheryl to see how you can adjust your schedule to fit in a Verrazano honors section.