The Verrazano School
Who is Eligible?
Current CSI or transfer students with high cumulative GPAs are encouraged to apply.
We look for students who demonstrate strong academic abilities, and we also consider characteristics such as leadership, community service, campus involvement, creativity, talent, and enthusiasm that will contribute to The Verrazano School community. Students must submit a supplemental application, including a personal statement and two letters of recommendation, to be considered for admission to the program.
The Fall 2013 admission profile is a 3.626 GPA.
You may be eligible for admission into The Verrazano School Honors Program if you meet the following criteria:
How do I apply?
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at CSI or another accredited institution
- Full-time enrollment in a baccalaureate program at CSI
- Passed or exempt from all three CUNY Assessment Tests
- Completion of 36 or fewer credits. Applicants with over 36 credits completed and at least two full academic years remaining are considered on a case-by-case basis.
1. Apply for admission to CSI by completing a CUNY application online at www.cuny.edu/apply. We encourage you to indicate the College of Staten Island as your first choice on the CUNY application. Current CSI students do not need to complete the CUNY application again. Transfer applicants from other institutions must mail an official copy of their transcript directly to the Verrazano office in addition to any transcripts requested by CUNY.
2. Submit the Verrazano Supplemental Application, including the personal statement and two typed letters of recommendation, to The Verrazano School Office. Applications can be mailed or delivered in person. Applications must be typed, and for your convenience the Verrazano Supplemental Application PDF can be edited.
Applications are accepted for fall only, and the deadline is May 15. Applications from current CSI students and transfer students must be submitted by this deadline, and the review of applications will not be completed until spring semester grades are official. Upon receipt of spring semester grades a final evaluation of applications will be conducted, and decision letters will be mailed soon thereafter.
- Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their application with The Verrazano School to determine whether or not letters of recommendation have been received and the application is complete.
- Students who will have completed 36 or more credit hours at CSI or another accredited institution by the end of the current semester are eligible for admission into The Verrazano School only on a case-by-case basis, with the Director's approval. Students accepted into the program with over 36 credits are required to fulfill the same requirements that a student transferring in with under 36 credits must fulfill. Please inquire with The Verrazano School for additional information.
- Students should be able to enroll in at least two Verrazano-designated courses during their first semester in the program. Students who are unable to do this must schedule an appointment to discuss their situation with a member of the Verrazano staff.
Please e-mail email@example.com or call 718.982.4171 with any questions.