What is advisement?
Advisement helps you figure out what you want to study and connects you to resources that can enhance your undergraduate experience and prepare you for the future. You are required to see an advisor before you register for classes, and you’re welcome to come by and ask questions at any time!
Where do you go for advising?
- Schedule an appointment with Cheryl for registration advising or for any questions using using Navigate or by contacting Cynthia.
- Have you earned 44 or fewer credits or are undecided on a major? You need to see Cheryl to have your advising hold remove prior to registering.
- Have you earned 45 or more credits? See an advisor in your major(s) to have your advising hold removed.
How to prepare:
- Review the College Catalog and your degree audit to view requirements for your major(s) and minor(s).
- Make sure your transfer credit/AP credit/College Now credits transferred so we know what you have credit for!
- Write down the questions you still have after reviewing the catalog, this website, and your audit.
- Select courses and sections for the upcoming semester. You are encouraged to take as many Verrazzano-designated courses as you can. You are required to take the Verrazzano section of ENG 111, 151, and a mathematics course related to your major.
What to bring for your registration advising meeting (mandatory)
You must complete and upload the following two documents to the dropbox link included in our email annoucenemnt the day before your advising appointment with Cheryl. Your hold will not be removed if you do not submit them, and schedules cannot be approved if they are not complete. You are STRONLY ENCOURAGED to be similarly prepared for your meetings with your departmental advisor.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN
Cheryl will create your first, full-time schedule. It will include:
- A learning community: an English class and other relevant courses for your major and general education requirements
- An honors math course
- Additional classes toward your intended major
SPECIAL NOTE FOR SECOND SEMESTER FRESHMEN
Second semester freshmen must select appropriate Verrazzano courses associated with your major. Find your major below and click the link to find the required Verrazzano courses.
NOTE FOR STUDENTS WHO WILL BE TAKING MTH 232 (Calculus II) in Spring 2021: We will be sharing a section of MTH 232 with Macaulay Honors, so plan on takking MTH 232 on M, W 10:10-12:05 and ENG 151 on T, Th 10:10 -12:05. Disregard the section numbers for MTH 232 and ENG 151 in the following documents.
- Accounting and Business
- Computer Science
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Biology, Biochemistry or Pre-Med, Pre-Dental, Pre-Pharmacy tracks
- Humanities and Social Science majors
- Pre-physical therapy and Pre-occupational therapy tracks
SPECIAL NOTE FOR FIRST SEMESTER TRANSFER STUDENTS OR ADMITTED AFTER ATTENDING CSI
Meet with Cheryl to see how you can adjust your schedule to fit in a Verrazzano honors section.