Applications for ESL and High School Equivalency classes for the fall term are now being accepted.
The Adult Literacy and Language Program (ALLP), formerly referred to as the Adult Learning Center at CSI, offers flexible scheduling to adults who are:
- Developing their English language skills,
- Preparing for the New York State High School Equivalency test known as the TASC, formerly known as the GED,
- Seeking to take the TASC Test and obtain their High School Equivalency Diploma
This program manages the College of Staten Island High School Equivalency (HSE) Test Center, which offers the test in English or Spanish, and in paper-based and computer-based versions. HSE classes are offered in Math, English, Social Studies, and Science. ALLP also offers beginner and intermediate levels of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. All of our students receive supportive advisement for college and career planning.
- Attend all classes based on individual need (3-12 hours per week);
- Attend College and Career workshops weekly
- Age: 21 and older for HSE students; 18 and older for ESL students
- Attend a program orientation;
- Take the TABE Reading and Math tests (HSE) or the BEST Plus placement tests (ESL).
Fall (September-November), Winter (January-March) & Spring (April-June) terms:
- 10 weeks of instruction
- 9 am-12 pm or 6:30 pm- 9:30 pm
How to Apply
- Complete application for Fall 2019 online application here
Registration Information Fall 2019
Applications are accepted online ONLY. The application opens July 8, 2019. It may take up to four weeks after your online application has been submitted for notification of registration dates and times. Bring a pen or pencil at the time of registration. Please be on time as latecomers will not be able to register. Registration does not guarantee placement. Seats are limited and once seats are filled applications will not be accepted for the term. THERE IS NO LONGER A WAIT LIST. If your application is not accepted for Fall 2019 classes you may apply for the Winter 2020 Term beginning December 2, 2019.