Dr. Gigliotti’s program of research focuses on both theory development and validity of measures. Her theoretical interest is development and testing of the Neuman Systems Model. She is a Trustee of the model and has written extensively about statistical tests of the model. She is also Chair of the Neuman Systems Model Research Institute. Concerning measurement, she has revised the Norbeck Social Support Questionnaire (NSSQ) to make it a more valid measure of perceived affect, affirmation and aid. Additionally, Dr. Gigliotti has developed the Perceived Multiple Role Stress Scale (PMRS).
BS (Nursing) Hunter College
MA (Nursing) New York University
PhD (Nursing) New York University
Scholarship / Publications
- Hagerty, T.A., Samuels, W., Norcini-Pala, A., Gigliotti, E. (2017). Peplau’s theory of interpersonal relations: An alternate factor structure for patient experience data? Nursing Science Quarterly. 30 (2), 160-167.
- Manister, N.N. & Gigliotti, E. (2016). Emotional eating mediates the relationship between role stress and obesity in clergy. Nursing Science Quarterly. 29 (2). 136-145.
- Gigliotti, E., Samuels, W.E., Como, J., Gamidova, T., Gordon, B., & Acerios, P. (2014). Identifying and addressing sources of measurement error in the Norbeck Social Support Questionnaire (NSSQ). Journal of Nursing Measurement. 22 (13). 61-76.
- Gigliotti, E. & Manister, N. (2012). A beginner’s guide to writing the conceptual framework using a nursing conceptual model. Nursing Science Quarterly. 25 (4). 301-306.
- Gigliotti, E. (2012). New advances in the use of the Neuman systems model in quantitative research. Nursing Science Quarterly. 25 (4). 336-340.
- Gigliotti, E. & Samuels, W.E. (2011). Use of averaged Norbeck Social Support Questionnaire (NSSQ) Scores. International Scholarly Research Network (ISRN) (Nursing). Article ID 567280, doi:10.5402/2011/567280
- Gigliotti, E. (2011). Deriving middle range theories from the Neuman systems model. In B. Neuman and J. Fawcett (eds.). The Neuman systems model. 5th ed.(pp. 283-298). NJ: Prentice-Hall Publications.
- Gigliotti, E. (2007). Improving external and internal validity of a model of midlife women’s maternal-student role stress. Nursing Science Quarterly, .20, 161-170.
- Gigliotti, E. (2006). A confirmatory factor analysis of situation-specific Norbeck Social Support Questionnaire items. Nursing Research, 55, 217-222.
- Gigliotti, E. (2004). Etiology of maternal-student role stress. Nursing Science Quarterly. 17, 156-164.
- Gigliotti, E. (2002). A confirmation of the factor structure of the Norbeck social support questionnaire. Nursing Research, 51, 276-284.
- Gigliotti, E. (2001). Development of the perceived multiple role stress scale (PMRS). The Journal of Nursing Measurement. 9 (2), 163-180.