Sharon M. Loverde, PhD, is a Professor in the Chemistry department at College of Staten Island, a senior campus at the City University of New York (CUNY). She is also a faculty member of the Graduate Center of CUNY in the areas of Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Physics. Dr. Loverde’s research focuses on molecular dynamics simulations of self-assembly in soft and biological systems. Dr. Loverde was an NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow who worked with Dennis E. Discher (UPenn) and Michael L. Klein (Temple). She received her Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Northwestern University, working with Monica Olvera de la Cruz. As a faculty at CUNY, she has received a Doctoral New Investigator Award from the Petroleum Research Foundation, NIH R15 Awards from NIH NIBIB and NIGMS, and multiple grants from the NSF, including a CAREER Award from NSF DMR CMMT. She is also a co-PI on an NSF NRT NanoBioNYC.
PhD Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University
BS Physics University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Selected Recent Publications
1. "PEO-b-PBD diblock copolymers induce packing defects in lipid : hybrid membranes and improve insertion rates of natively folded peptides, " Steinkühler, Já ; Jacobs, Miranda; Boyd, Margrethe; Loverde, Sharon M.; Kamat, Neha, Biomacromolecules, 2022.
2. "Domain Formation in Charged Polymer Vesicles," Kaushik Chakraborty, Prabir Khatua, Wataru Shinoda, Sharon M. Loverde, Macromolecules, 54, 9258-9267 (2021).
3. "The Interaction of Supramolecular Anticancer Nanotubes with Phospholipid Membranes," Phu Tang*, Anjela Manandhar*, William Hu**, Myungshim Kang, and Sharon M. Loverde, Nanoscale Advances, 3, 370-382 (2021).*Co-first authors **High school author
4. "Interaction of Camptothecin with Model Cellular Membranes ," Phu K. Tang, Kaushik Chakraborty, William Hu*, Myungshim Kang and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, 16, 3373-3384 (2020). *High school author
5. "Molecular Simulation of the Shape Deformation of a Polymersome," Kaushik Chakrabory, Wataru Shinoda, and Sharon M. Loverde, Soft Matter, 16, 3234-3244 (2020).