Sharon M. Loverde, PhD, is an Associate Professor in the Chemistry department at College of Staten Island, a senior campus at the City University of New York (CUNY). She is also a faculty member of the Graduate Center of CUNY in the areas of Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Physics. Dr. Loverde’s research focuses on molecular dynamics simulations of self-assembly in soft and biological systems. Dr. Loverde was an NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow who worked with Dennis E. Discher (UPenn) and Michael L. Klein (Temple). She received her PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from Northwestern University working with Monica Olvera de la Cruz. As a faculty at CUNY, she has received a Doctoral New Investigator Award from the Petroleum Research Foundation, an NIH R15 Award from NIH NIBIB, and multiple grants from the NSF including a CAREER Award from NSF DMR CMMT.
PhD Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University
BS Physics University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Scholarship / Publications
1. "Interaction of Camptothecin with Model Cellular Membranes ," Phu K. Tang, Kaushik Chakraborty, William Hu*, Myungshim Kang and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, 16, 3373-3384 (2020). *High school author
2. "Molecular Simulation of the Shape Deformation of a Polymersome," Kaushik Chakrabory, Wataru Shinoda, and Sharon M. Loverde, Soft Matter, 16, 3234-3244 (2020). .
3. "Rational Coarse Grained Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Supramolecular Anticancer Nanotubes," Anjela Manandhar, Kaushik Chakraborty, Phu Tang, Myungshim Kang, Pengcheng Zhang, Honggang Cui, and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 123, 10582-10593 (2019).
4. "Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Phospholipid Bilayers With Polycaprolactone," Michaela Drenscko and Sharon M. Loverde, Molecular Simulation, 45, 859-867 (2019).
5. "Molecular Mechanism for the Role of the H2A and H2B Histone Tails in Nucleosome Repositioning," Kaushik Chakraborty, Myungshim Kang, and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 122, 11827- 11840 (2018).
6. "Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Supramolecular Anticancer Nanotubes," Myungshim Kang, Kaushik Chakraborty, and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, 56, 1164-1168 (2018).
7. "Nucleotide State Effect on the Protofilament Conformation of Tubulin Octamers," Anjela Manandhar, Myungshim Kang, Kaushik Chakraborty, and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 122, 6164-6178, (2018).
8. "Glassy Worm-Like Micelles in Solvent and Shear-Mediated Shape Transitions," Kaushik Chakraborty, Kandaswamy Vijayan, Andre Brown, Dennis E. Discher, Sharon M. Loverde, Soft Matter, 2018, DOI: 10.1039/C8SM00080H.
9. "Isomeric Control of the Mechanical Properties of Supramolecular Filament Hydrogels," Yi-An Lin,Myungshim Kang, Wei-Chiang Chen,Yu-Chuan Ou, Andrew G. Cheetham, Pei-Hsun Wu, Denis Wirtz, Sharon M. Loverde and Honggang Cui, Biomaterials Science, 6, 216-2214 (2018).
10. "Coarse-grained molecular dynamics studies of the structure and stability of peptide-based drug amphiphile filaments," Myungshim Kang, Honggang Cui, and Sharon M. Loverde, Soft Matter, 13, 7721-7730 (2017). DOI: 10.1039/c7sm00943g (2017).
11. "Molecular Simulations of Peptide Amphiphiles," Anjela Manandhar, Myungshim Kang, Kaushik Chakraborty, Phu Tang, and Sharon M. Loverde, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 15, 7993-8005 (2017).
12. "Asymmetric Breathing Motions of Nucleosomal DNA and the Role of Histone Tails," Kaushik Chakraborty and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Chemical Physics, 147, 065101 (2017).
13. "Characterization of Hydrophobic Collapse of Polystyrene in Water Using Free Energy Techniques," Mihaela Drenscko and Sharon M. Loverde, Molecular Simulation, 43, 234-241 (2017).
14. “π-π Stacking Mediated Chirality in Functional Supramolecular Filaments,” Myungshim Kang, Pengcheng Zhang, Honggang Cui, Sharon M. Loverde, Macromolecules, 49 (3), 993-1001 (2016).
15. “Molecular Simulation of the Concentration-Dependent Interaction of Hydrophobic Drugs with Model Membranes,” Myungshim Kang and Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 118, 11965-11972 (2014).
16. "Molecular Simulation of the Transport of Drugs across Model Membranes," Sharon M. Loverde, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 5, 1669-1675 (2014).
17. "Computer Simulation of Polymer and Biopolymer Self-Assembly for Drug Delivery," Sharon M. Loverde, Molecular Simulation, 40, 794-801 (2014).
18. “Nanoparticle Shape Improves Delivery: Rational Coarse Grain Molecular Dynamics (rCG-MD) of Taxol in Worm-Like PEG-PCL Micelles,” S. M. Loverde, M. L. Klein, D. E. Discher, Adv. Mater., 24, 3823-3830 (2012).