Registration for our free ESL and HSE classes
for the Spring '24 semester
will start on January 2, 2024.
The Adult Literacy and Language Program (ALLP), formerly referred to as the Adult Learning Center at CSI, offers flexible scheduling to adults who are:
- Developing their English language skills,
- Preparing for the New York State High School Equivalency test known as the GED,
- Seeking to take the GED Test and obtain their High School Equivalency Diploma
This program manages the College of Staten Island High School Equivalency (HSE) Test Center, which offers the test in English or Spanish, and in paper-based and computer-based versions. HSE classes are offered in Math, English, Social Studies, and Science. ALLP also offers beginner and intermediate levels of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. All of our students receive supportive advisement for college and career planning.
For Adult Literacy’s GED & ESL programs, students are required to attend all classes, weekly college and career readiness workshops, and program orientation. Documented and undocumented students are eligible. The Fall and Spring semesters are 15 weeks each.
- Age: 21 and older for HSE students; 18 and older for ESL students
- Attend a program orientation
- Attend and participate in class regularly
- Attend College and Career workshops weekly
- Take the TABE Reading and Math tests (HSE) or the BEST Plus placement tests (ESL)
- All classes meet three times a week, three hours each day
- Morning Classes: 9:00am – 12:00 pm
- Evening Classes: 6:30pm – 9:30 pm
How to Apply:
- Please call or email us to learn more about our next semester.