Combined BS/MD Degree Program - 4+4 Pathway
College of Staten Island has joined with St. George’s University (SGU) to offer students an opportunity to obtain a unique Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Medicine degree (BS/MD). Enrolled students spend the first four years of their studies as part of College of Staten Island’s premedical program. Qualified students then proceed to Grenada to enter SGU’s four-year Doctor of Medicine program.
Applicants to the BS/MD Pathway are reviewed holistically by the Committee on Admissions at St. George’s University School of Medicine. However, some general guidelines and requirements include:
- Strong high school grades in the sciences and math
- A 500-word essay explaining your interest in pursuing a career in medicine and what has attracted you to apply to the BS/MD Pathway
- Two letters of recommendation (prefer at least one letter from a science teacher)
- Evidence of involvement with school, community and/or extracurricular activities
- Upon conclusion of the undergraduate program at the College of Staten Island, students must maintain a GPA of 3.4 or above, and obtain a competitive score on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) within 5 points of the average MCAT score for entering students, which is 498.
- Provisional acceptance to medical school and a guaranteed seat without competing for a slot
- $10,000 pathway scholarship to SGU in addition to being eligible for other financial aid and awards
- Full complimentary visit to SGU’s campus in Grenada *
- Interactive activities, workshops and presentations to prepare you for medical school
- Complete clinical rotations and residency requirements at an extensive network of hospitals in New York and across the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply to CSI and gain admission to a baccalaureate program.
- Contact Emmanuel Esperance, Jr., Director of Recruitment and Admissions, for more information and to initiate the SGU application process.
Join SGU at one of their events to learn more about SGU and to hear from SGU alumni who are at different stages of their careers.
*New York and Florida Residents
Students who are residents of the State of New York must be admitted and have also paid a seat deposit in order to be eligible for a complimentary visit. Students who are residents of the State of Florida are not eligible for a complimentary visit due to state regulations. If you do not meet the criteria for the See SGU program, we still hope you will consider visiting our campus. Please let us know your plans so we can reserve a spot for you on one of our escorted campus tours.