Dr. Yu’s academic interest includes research in organic/polymer chemistry and on chemical education, with the focus on developing teaching tools/ strategies to meet the student learning needs of a diversified student body. Dr. Yu has been teaching 100/200-level courses such as Introductory Chemistry, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry for both science and non-science majors. She is currently overseeing the General Chemistry lab courses in the department to improve lab teaching efficacy and course curriculum.
Ph. D. Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
M. S. Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
B. S. Shanghai Jiaotong University
Scholarship / Publications
2. "Catalytic Asymmetric Organozinc Additions to Carbonyl Compounds." Pu, L.; Yu, H.-B. Chem. Rev. 2001, 101, 757-824.
3. "The First Optically Active BINOL-BINAP Copolymer Catalyst: Highly Stereoselective Tandem Asymmetric Reactions." Yu, H.-B.; Hu, Q.-S.; Pu, L. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2000, 122, 6500-6501.
4. "Synthesis of ChiralPolyBINAP for Asymmetric Catalysis." Yu, H.-B.; Hu, Q.-S.; Pu, L. Tetrahedron Lett. 2000, 41, 1681-1685.
5. "Asymmetric Epoxidation of α, β-Unsaturated Ketones Catalyzed by Chiral Polybinaphthyl Zinc Complexes: Greatly Enhanced Enantioselectivity by a Cooperation of the Catalytic Sites in a Polymer Chain." Yu, H. -B.; Zheng, X. -F.; Lin, Z. -M.; Hu, Q. -S.; Huang, W.-S.; Pu, L. J. Org. Chem. 1999, 64, 8149-8155.
6. "Regioselective Synthesis of 5-Trifluoromethyl Pyrozale by the [1+4] Cyclization of Phenylhydrazones with N-Aryl Trifluoroacetimidoyl Iodides." Yu, H. -B.; Huang, W.-Y. Synlett 1997, 679-680.