Paolo Cappellari is an Associate Professor at the College of Staten Island, CUNY. He received his PhD from Università Roma Tre, Rome, Italy, in 2007. His career has included positions in industry and academia. He has worked for some of the top firms and universities in his field (e.g., Microsoft Research and IBM, University of Alberta and Dublin City University).
His research focuses on the effective management, interpretation, and utilization of static and streaming big data, with specific attention to the study and transformation of schemas and data from one model to another, keyword search over semantic datasets, and data management in sensor networks.
He has published his research results in the major journals of the field, including VLDB Journal, Transactions on Large-Scale Data- and Knowledge-Centered Systems and in the refereed proceedings of major conferences (ACM-SIGMOD, VLDB, EDBT, ER, ICDE, FoIKS). He has served as an ad hoc reviewer for many international conferences (ACM-SIGMOD, VLDB, EDBT, ICDE, CAISE, DASFAA).
His current and past teaching interests includes: Information Management, IT Architectures, Object Oriented Programming, Principles of Database Systems, Information Systems, Object-Oriented analysis with UML and design patterns.
Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Rome “Roma Tre”, Rome, Italy
M.Sc. in Computer Science, University of Rome “Roma Tre”, Rome, Italy
Dr. Cappellari has published more than 30 refereed articles and proceedings.
Selected list of publications:
- Fouad Bahrpeyma, Mark Roantree, Paolo Cappellari, Michael Scriney, Andrew McCarren: “A Methodology for Validating Diversity in Synthetic Time Series Generation.” MethodsX, 2021
- Robin Nie, Paolo Cappellari, Mark Roantree: “A Methodology for Classification and Validation of Customer Datasets.” Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 2020
- Michael Scriney, Suzanne McCarthy, Andrew McCarren, Paolo Cappellari, and Mark Roantree: "Automating Data Mart Construction from Semi-Structured Data Sources." The Computer Journal, 2019
- Paolo Cappellari, Mark Roantree, Soon Ae Chun: "Optimizing Data Stream Processing for Large Scale Applications." Journal of Software: Practice and Experience, 2018
- Paolo Cappellari, Robert Gaunt, Carl Beringer, Misagh Mansouri, Massimiliano Novelli: "Identifying Electromyography Sensor Placement using Dense Neural Networks." DATA, 2018, Porto, Portugal
- Paolo Cappellari, Soon Chun and Christopher Costello: "Detecting and Analyzing Privacy Leaks in Tweets." DATA 2018, Porto, Portugal
- Paolo Cappellari, Soon Ae Chun and Mark Roantree: "ISE: A High Performance System for Processing Data Streams. DATA, 2016, Porto, Portugal
- Paolo Cappellari, Soon Ae Chun, and Dennis Shpits: "Discovering and Analyzing Alternative Treatments Hypothesis via Social Health Data." ICWE, 2016, Lugano, Switzerland.
- Xiang Ji, Soon Ae Chun, Paolo Cappellari, James Geller: "Linking and Using Social Media Data for Enhancing Public Health Analytics." Journal of Information Science, 2016
- Xiang Ji, Paolo Cappellari, Soon Ae Chun, James Geller: "Leveraging Social Data for Health Care Behavior Analytics." ICWE 2015, Rotterdam, Netherland.
- Path-oriented Keyword Search over Graph-modeled Web Data, WWWJ 2012
- A Path-Oriented RDF Index for Keyword Search Query Processing, DEXA 2011
- A universal metamodel and its dictionary, TLDKS 2009
- Model-Independent Schema Translation, VLDB Journal 2008
- MIDST: model independent schema and data translation, SIGMOD 2007
- Model-Independent Schema and Data Translation, EDBT 2006
- ModelGen: Model Independent Schema Translation, ICDE 2005
A more comprehensive list of publication is available at the following URL: http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/pers/hd/c/Cappellari:Paolo