Dr. Holmes earned her MA and PhD in Counseling Psychology from the University of Akron. She completed a predoctoral clinical internship at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System and a NIDA-funded T32 postdoctoral fellowship at Yale School of Medicine.
Dr. Holmes has worked in many different clinical settings and with clients from a wide range of backgrounds. Specifically, she has conducted clinical work at domestic violence shelters, a community mental health agency, intensive outpatient, partial hospitalization and residential treatment programs, a college counseling center, and various VA hospital clinics. Dr. Holmes has clinical expertise in empirically-supported cognitive behavioral treatments for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other psychological disorders that often co-occur with PTSD. She draws upon her clinical experiences to inform her research as well as the courses she teaches.
Dr. Holmes’s research is focused on women’s experiences of trauma, particularly a) identifying culturally-relevant protective and risk factors of mental health outcomes, b) developing, assessing, and disseminating trauma-informed interventions for survivors with complex clinical presentations, and c) expanding the conceptualization of trauma to explicitly include oppression as a potentially traumatizing event.
PhD, University of Akron
MA, University of Akron
BA, Lafayette College
Scholarship / Publications
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Holmes, S. C., DaFonseca, A. M., & Johnson, D. M. (2020). Sexual victimization and disordered eating in bisexual women: A test of objectification theory. Violence Against Women. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077801220963902
- Holmes, S. C., Ciarleglio, M. Song, X., Clayton, A., & Smith, M. V. (2020). Testing the Family Stress Model among Black women receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). Journal of Child and Family Studies. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-020-01791-5
- Johnson, D. M., Zlotnick, C., Hoffman, L., Palmieri, P. A., Johnson, N. L., Holmes, S. C., & Ceroni, T. L. (2020). A randomized controlled trial comparing HOPE treatment and present-centered therapy in women residing in shelter with PTSD from intimate partner violence. Psychology of Women Quarterly. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361684320953120
- Holmes, S. C., Johnson, N. L., & Johnson, D. M. (2019). Understanding the relationship between interpersonal trauma and disordered eating: An extension of the model of psychological adaptation. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, & Policy. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/tra0000533.supp
- Holmes, S. C., Johnson, C. M., Suvak, M. K., Sijercic, I., Monson, C. M., & Stirman S. W. (2019). Examining patterns of dose response for clients who do and do not complete cognitive processing therapy. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2019.102120