Math Start in the Community:
As part of the 30,000 Degrees initiative, CUNY Math Start programs launched in New Dorp High School and Curtis High School, bridging the divide between high school and college with one of CUNY’s nationally recognized college readiness programs. The exclusive approach, and benefits of this academic program are listed below. CUNY-bound high school seniors participating in Math Start also received 1 college credit, and individualized support through the college enrollment and financial aid process.
Math Start at CSI
Math Start is CUNY Start’s 8-week intervention that prepares students for success in college by fostering their full math potential. In a social, collaborative learning environment, students access the support they need to increase their understanding of math so that they can meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and thrive as CUNY college students. Program highlights include:
- Provides Free MTA MetroCards or parking permit for the Willowbrook campus
- Fast-tracks your learning in just 8-weeks
- Offers classes year round
- Provides dedicated teachers and expert advisors to support your long-term college success
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses that count toward your degree
- Provides a next-step pathway to CUNY’s ASAP, a program that provides academic, financial and social supports once you begin taking credit courses, and keeps on track to graduate on time.
Math Start at CSI Student Eligibility Requirements:
- Students need to be available 9 am-3pm 4 days a week (per the program schedule) to attend classes
- Highly motivated
- Must have applied to a CUNY College
- Must have taken the CUNY Assessment tests and need remediation based on test results
- Must attend a registration session and complete the Math Start application
- Varies per 8 week session but is typically 4 days a week from 9 am-3 pm.
- $35 for the 8 week program, includes books and materials.
How to register
Sign up for a registration session and complete Math Start’s online application. Students can sign up for a registration session here: https://tinyurl.com/lxdo4r6 or call the office.
Math Start Course Description
Math Start is based on CUNY Start’s curriculum and instructional approach. Building on students’ existing math knowledge, this course emphasizes conceptual understanding through in-depth study of core pre-algebra and algebra topics. The program also offers college success advisement where students explore and grow their academic identity and learn strategies to connect with campus resources and programs.