CUNY Start at CSI
Math Start is a low cost alternative to remedial (developmental) math classes at CSI. Our program assists incoming students whose scores on the CUNY Assessment Tests indicate that they would benefit from further instruction in Math.
Our 8-week program involves pre-college math instruction that focuses on complex topics in algebra and helps students maximize their understanding through in-depth study of core math concepts in an interactive and supportive learning environment. Students then have two opportunities to re-test.
In addition, students attend a weekly college-readiness seminar to help them develop their academic identity and learn about college structures and campus resources.
Students pay a low cost of $35 to enroll for the entire 8 weeks, which includes the cost of instruction and materials. This allows our students to reserve their limited financial aid money for degree credit courses at CSI.
Students who complete Math Start are also guaranteed admission into the ASAP program (pending requirements) if they plan to pursue an ASAP approved major at CSI.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Be admitted to College of Staten Island.
- Take the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing and Math.
- Demonstrate need for skills development in math (only) based on your CUNY Assessment Test Results. Specifically, you must have received a score of 39 or lower in Math 5 (arithmetic/pre-algebra)
- Attend an information session where you will learn more about the program, fill out an application and have a one-on-one interview.
- The first step in the process is for students to attend an information session to learn more about the details of the program. Please see the schedule of upcoming sessions and to sign up. You may also call us at 718.982.3069 or email us at email@example.com if you have questions.
- In preparation for your information session please complete the Math Start Application.
Early July – End of August
Monday – Thursday
9:00am – 3:00pm
September - November
Tuesday – Friday
9:00am – 3:00pm