COVID 19 Update
Until further notice, our office will be operating virtually Monday through Friday, during regular hours from 9 am to 5 pm. Please DO NOT come to the office but rather email us at email@example.com or leave a message at 718-982-3069 and we will get back to you as soon as possible. CUNY Start is currently enrolling for Spring 2021. All spring courses will be held 100% online! Please reach out with any questions.
CUNY Start offers intensive academic preparation in Math and/or Reading and Writing to help students meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and be successful in credit bearing coursework. We offer a full time and a part time program which helps students address up to three subject needs in one semester while preparing to meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and be successful in credit-bearing courses.
- Costs just $75, including materials
- Reduces or eliminates need for remedial instruction
- Provides dedicated teachers and expert advisors to support your long-term college success
- Offers up to two opportunities to meet CUNY’s academic proficiency standards
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses that count toward your degree
- Provides a next-step pathway to CUNY ASAP, a program that provides academic, financial and social supports once you begin taking credit courses, and keeps you on track to graduate on time.
Program expectations and requirements
- Students need to be available Mondays-Fridays from 9 am-3pm to attend classes for full time program OR Mondays-Thursdays 3 hours a day for part time program
- Students should be highly motivated
- Must have applied to a CUNY College
- Must have a remediation need based on the CUNY proficiency index
- Must attend a registration session and complete the CUNY Start application
- Full time: Mondays-Fridays from 9 am -3pm for 18 weeks
- Fall semester: late August start and runs until mid-January
- Spring semester: late January start and runs until mid-July
- $75 for the entire semester, including books and materials
How to register
- Students interested in registering for CUNY Start will need to sign up for a registration session after being accepted to the College of Staten Island. Students can sign up for a registration session by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling the office at 718.982.3069.
Student Success Stories
- Meet the Staff!