CUNY Start offers intensive academic preparation in Math and/or Reading and Writing to help students meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and be successful in credit bearing coursework. We offer a full time and a part time program which helps students address up to three subject needs in one semester while preparing to meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and be successful in credit-bearing courses.
- Costs just $75, including materials
- Reduces or eliminates need for remedial instruction
- Provides dedicated teachers and expert advisors to support your long-term college success
- Offers up to two opportunities to meet CUNY’s academic proficiency standards
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses that count toward your degree
- Provides a next-step pathway to CUNY ASAP, a program that provides academic, financial and social supports once you begin taking credit courses, and keeps you on track to graduate on time.
Program expectations and requirements
- Students need to be available Mondays-Fridays from 9 am-3pm to attend classes for full time program OR Mondays-Thursdays 3 hours a day for part time program
- Students should be highly motivated
- Must have applied to a CUNY College
- Must have taken the CUNY Assessment tests and need remediation based on test results
- Must attend a registration session and complete the CUNY Start application
- Full time: Mondays-Fridays from 9 am -3pm for 18 weeks
- Fall semester: late August start and runs until mid-January
- Spring semester: late January start and runs until mid-July
- $75 for the entire semester, including books and materials
How to register
- Students interested in registering for CUNY Start will need to sign up for a registration session and complete CUNY Start’s online application. Students can sign up for a registration session here or call the office at 718.982.3069.