- Literature Concentration Requirements
- Path to Graduation WORKSHEET
Literature Concentration Requirements
THREE REQUIRED COURSES (12 credits):
- ENL 290 Introduction to the Study of Literature 4 credits
- ENL 310 World Literature in Contexts 4 credits
- ENL 300 British and American Literary Traditions 4 credits
LITERATURE COVERAGE AREAS (20 credits):
Students must take one ENL course in each of the following literary coverage areas, and no course may satisfy more than one coverage area.
- British literature
- American literature
- Literature in translation
- Literature written by women, American minorities, or writers in Asia (including the Middle East), Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean
- Genre / Theme**
Additionally, at least one of the courses from above must be pre-1800.
REMAINING COURSES (12 credits):
These eight or twelve credits may be Linguistics (LING 201 / LING 300-level or higher), Literature (ENL), Writing (ENL), or ENL 302 (Oral Interpretation of Literature).
English majors in the adolescence education sequence must take either LING 201 (Introduction to Language) or LING 301 (Introduction to Linguistics). **Additionally, they must take ENL 323 (Coming of Age Narratives) or ENL 305 (Critical Approaches to Children's and Young Adult Literature), which fall under the Genre/Theme Coverage Area in (5) above.