PLEASE NOTE: At the present time, CSI has not received funding to support the STEM Waiver program for the 2019/2020 Academic Year, including Winter 2020 and Summer 2020.
If anything changes, we will immediately communicate this information to the College Community.
CUNY/City STEM Initiative: For qualifying students in associate degree programs, enroll in and complete any designated STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) course/s and receive a tuition waiver for that/those course/s. To promote credit accumulation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) courses and help STEM students complete a sufficient number of credits each year without jeopardizing their future Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) eligibility, the City of New York and CUNY have provided funding to offer tuition waivers for identified STEM courses during the Summer and/or Winter intersessions for current CSI students that are matriculated in an associate degree program and are New York City residents.
PLEASE NOTE: For Summer 2019, Tuition Waivers are currently only available in the First Summer Session for First Four-Week and First Eight-Week courses. Tuition Waivers are not currently available for any Second Four-Week session courses.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO RECEIVE A STEM TUITION WAIVER:
- Only current CSI students matriculated in Associate Degree Progams (AA, AS, and AAS) are eligible for the Tuition Waiver.
- Students must have an established minimum College of Staten Island GPA of 2.5.
- Students that do not have an established CSI GPA, including new students and those awaiting completion of their first term, will not be eligible to apply for a STEM Tuition Waiver;
- Applicants must enroll in one of the identified eligible STEM courses during the application period.
- After enrolling in an eligible STEM course, students must submit an application during the specified submission period to be considered.
- If you are not enrolled in the course listed on your application, then the application will be denied.
- Students must complete their course/s with one of the following letter grades to retain a waiver: A, B, C, D, F, W, incl. +/- grades.
- Any student that earns a WU, WN, or WD grade will have the Tuition Waiver rescinded and will then be responsible for any and all tuition and fees for their course/s
After submitting an application, students will receive an email response to their application within 7-10 business days informing them if their application has been 1) Approved, 2) Denied due to Ineligibility, or 3) Denied due to Insufficient Funding/All Available Funding having been Allocated.
The funding for this initiative expires on June 30, 2019. Therefore, STEM waivers will only be available for the Winter (January) 2019 and First Summer Session 2019, including the First Four-Week and First Eight-Week terms.
Review the STEM Initiative FAQs to confirm your eligibility prior to submitting the required application. Please allow at least 7-10 business days after submitting the application to receive confirmation of your eligibility and, if eligible, for your tuition waiver to be applied directly to your tuition balance in CUNYFirst. If you are not eligible, then you will receive a response informing you of the reason/s. Lastly, please note that students are still responsible for any fees related to their bill.
If you have questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The First Day of the Summer 2019 Session is Monday, June 3, 2019.