Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I see on my campus about resources for students who are veterans?

Each CUNY college has appointed a veterans affairs representative to address the needs of veterans on campus.  College of Staten Island has two offices dedicated to serving veteran students: Veterans Support Services (VSS) and Veteran Educational Transition Services (VETS).  Veterans Support Services assist and respond to the needs of students who have served in the Armed Forces providing information regarding education and financial aid benefits, academic advisement, professional development workshops, readjustment counseling and referrals when needed.  VSS can be reached at (718) 982-3108 Mon-Fri 9-5PM in the Campus Center Building 1C Room 219. 

back to top

How do I know if I am eligible for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) educational assistance?

You may be eligible for VA educational assistance if: A) You are on, or were on active duty for at least two years, and received any honorably characterized discharge; B) You have a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserves, and remain in good standing with your reserve unit; or C) You are a spouse or child of a veteran who died or was totally disabled while in military service. The College of Staten Island’s Veteran Support Services and Veterans Educational Transition Services can help you determine eligibility.

back to top

How do I start my VA educational assistance benefits at the college?

Read How to Apply for Benefits section.

back to top

Do I have to reapply for benefits if I am transferring into CUNY?

No, you do not have to reapply. Once you have applied and have received benefits at another institution, you need only complete a form to change your place of training and a brief personal data form. This can be done through your campus's veterans affairs representative.

back to top

Will the benefit check be sent to CUNY?

No, the educational benefit checks are sent directly to the veteran or dependent, but arrangements can be made for direct deposit, which can be requested when you apply for benefits. Direct deposit is available for all programs except for Chapter 35 educational assistance.

back to top

How long will it take to receive my benefits?

First-time applicants should expect to have to wait at least 6 to 8 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent before payment is received. Continuing students will be processed quicker provided there have not been any changes in program or address. Keep in mind that Chapter 35 Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA) and Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) certifications are not processed until the first day of the enrollment period even though the certification may have been received by the VA Regional Office earlier.

back to top

Are VA educational benefits taxable?

No, veteran's benefits, paid under any law and administered by the VA should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)