Step by Step Guide

Required Documents

  • DD214 Member 4 copy
    • If you do not have a copy of your DD214 Member 4 copy, one can be requested by filling out a Standard Form 180.
    • If still in the service you can begin the admissions process using your ID card or Service 2 Copy.
  • Proof of MMR Immunization (Measles, Mumps, Rubella shots)
    • Check your military medical records for a shot record.
    • If you do not have your military medical records do one of the following:
      • Get a Titers blood test, which proves immunizations.
      • If applicable, visit your childhood pediatrician and inquire if a copy of your childhood immunizations is still available. 


  • A copy of your medical records can be requested using the Standard Form 180.  This can take a minimum of three months to process.
  • Official High School transcript (required if under 45 college credits)
    • Must be an official transcript in an unopened envelope.
  • Official College Transcript
    • Must be an official transcript in an unopened envelope.
  • Military Transcript
    *Submit to the Veterans Educational Transition Services (VETS) during your initial registration.

The College of Staten Island gives up to 90 credits for military service.  To see what courses transfer, visit the CSI Enrollment Management VETS website.

Admissions Process

Step 1: Apply for VA benefits

  • Complete, print and mail VA Form 22-1990. Directions begin on page 7 of the form.


Step 2: Apply for Admissions

  • Undergraduate applicants who are veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty or members of the National Guard or Reserves can apply to CUNY.
    • After you submit your Admission Application, be sure to select the "PAY LATER" option on the payment options screen and obtain an application fee waiver from the Veterans Educational Transition Services (VETS) located in the Registrar’s office. (Building 2A Room 110).
      *Dependents are not eligible for a fee waiver
    • Note: Applicants who are veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty or members of the National Guard or Reserves may apply for admission up until a day before classes begin.

* For more information, please refer to CUNY’s Quick Guide to Apply for Veterans.

  • Once you have submitted an Admission Application to CUNY, please read the instructions below to find out what is needed to complete your admission review. Click here for details.

Step 3: Apply for Financial Aid

  • File Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    • CSI’s Federal Code is 002698
    • Income Taxes (Income and Tax data from the prior year can be linked directly to FAFSA from the IRS)
    • Value of assets (bank accounts, business, investment property, etc.)

Step 4: Placement Testing

  • Students are considered proficient in reading, writing, and math if they can document any one of the following:
    • For Reading/Writing:
      • SAT I verbal score of 480 or higher or critical reading score of 480 or higher.
      • ACT English score of 20 or higher.


  • N.Y. State English Regents score of 75 or higher.
  • For Math:
    • SAT I math score of 500
    • ACT Math score of 21 or higher


  • N.Y. State Regents Score of 75 or higher in one of the following:
    • Math A or Math B
    • Sequential II or Sequential III
    • Score of 80 or higher in Integrated Algebra, or Geometry, or Algebra 2 & Trigonometry AND successfully completing Algebra 2 & Trigonometry or higher-level course.

For more details on admission requirements and exceptions, please click here.

CUNY Assessment Tests (CAT) in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics
All students pursuing a degree program at CUNY must satisfy the reading, writing, and mathematics basic skills requirements for the University in order to be admitted. If you do not meet the University's skills proficiency requirements based on your SAT, ACT, or NY State Regents test scores, you may take CUNY Assessment Tests (CAT).

  • For more information regarding the CAT, please click here.

Step 5: Registration

All documents must be submitted to the Veterans Educational Transition Services (VETS) located in the Office of the Registrar at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.

Certification Process

  • To request enrollment certification for Department of Veterans’ Affairs educational benefits, you must complete the Veterans Benefit Certification Form and submit the completed form to the VETS in building 2A Room 110 or as an email attachment to VETS at
    • Once your certification has been received, you will receive an email confirmation when it has been processed.  If you have not received a confirmation within seven business days, please contact the VETS at 718-982-2140 or email
  • Please note that you should submit a Veterans Benefits Certification Form for each semester you wish to have your enrollment certified.  Take advantage of Veteran Priority Registration to ensure there is no delay in receipt of your benefits.
  • Course adds, drops, withdrawals, class cancellations and changes of program made after or during the semester must be reported as soon as possible in-person to the VETS in the Registrar’s office, 2A-107. Failure to due so may lead to interruption in receipt of benefits. 

*Remember: No Certification Request = No Certification = No Money!*

Step 6: Get Your Student I.D. Card