NYS High School Graduates and Equivalency Diploma Holders

Pursuant to Section 6206 (7)(a) of the New York State Education Law, students who are not residents of the State of New York, other than those in lawful non-immigration statuses, qualify for the resident tuition rate if one of the following conditions are met:

  1. The student has attended an approved New York high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend CUNY within five years of receiving the New York State diploma.
  2. The student has attended an approved New York State Program for General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) exam preparation, received the diploma issued within New York State, and applied to attend CUNY within five years of receiving the New York State diploma.
  3. The student was enrolled in CUNY in the Fall 2001 semester or quarter and was authorized by CUNY to pay tuition at the resident rate. Thus, a student who attended CUNY in the Fall 2001 semester and paid the resident rate does not have to satisfy either condition 1 or 2 above.

To reiterate, a student meeting one of the three conditions set forth above does not need to prove residence in New York State in accordance with the other sections of this website. The student can be a resident of another state, such as Connecticut or New Jersey, or can be an undocumented or out-of-status immigrant. However, students who meet one of these criteria but do not have lawful immigration status must file an affidavit (i.e., a notarized statement) with CUNY stating that they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.

Any student who is eligible for resident tuition because he/she satisfies one of the three conditions above will remain eligible for that rate even if the student leaves and returns more than five years later or receives a degree and is returning for a second degree.

Any student who has been admitted to and is attending CUNY, who subsequently receives his/her GED or TASC, does not qualify for the resident rate under the conditions stated above. CUNY does not recognize a New York State GED or TASC from any student who has already received a high school diploma or its equivalent from elsewhere.

Citizens, Permanent Residents, and Students with Qualifying Immigration Statuses


Complete the Residency Form (PDF)


Provide Proof of Valid Immigration Status

Students who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents or eligible visa holders such as A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5, H-1B, H-1C, H-4, I, K, L, N, O, R, S, T, U and V may establish residency.  Students granted asylum or refugee or parole status may also establish residency.  Certain categories of employment authorization may also qualify.

Undocumented or Out-of-Status Immigrants

Please complete the Affidavit (PDF) if you qualify.