Open menu button Close menu button

International Applicants

Applicants with International Credentials

Applicants must submit the following:


  • Educational Documents: We require official transcripts from each college/university attended. Applicants may opt to use one of our recommended evaluation services (listed below) or have the transcript(s) sent directly to the College of Staten Island (CSI) from the issuing institution in a sealed, college/university issued envelope. For your convenience, you may use our transcript request form.
  • Supporting Documents: Some programs may require additional documentation, such as letters of recommendation, graduate entrance exams, personal statement, etc. Click here to view the program specific requirements.
  • English Proficiency Examination:  The TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exam is required of students for whom English is a second language.

    Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Minimum required score is 79 (Internet). For additional information or to register for the exam, please visit the TOEFL website at Our institutional code is 2778.
    International English Language Testing System (IELTS): We will only accept the academic exam scores. The minimum required score is 6.5 (overall band).  For additional information or to register for the exam, please visit the IELTS website
    Pearson Test of English (PTE): Minimum required score is 53. For additional information or to register for the exam, please visit the PTE website
    Duolingo English Test: Minimum required score is 100. For additional information or to register for the exam, please visit the Duolingo website.

  • Application Fee: $75 USD, non-refundable check or money order - made payable to the College of Staten Island.

Applicants educated outside of the United States may opt to have their transcripts evaluated by the College of Staten Island or one of the evaluation services listed below:

If the documents are not issued in English, Official Translations will be required

Official translations may be obtained from the following:

  • Consulate or embassy of the country that is issuing the document
  • Translation agency
  • Immigrant or refugee association in the U.S. representing the country issuing the document
  • The institution where the student studied
  • Faculty member of the U.S. high school, college, or university (must signify his/her academic department and rank)

All translation must meet the following conditions:

  • Complete and literal (word-for-word) with no attempts to interpret or evaluate the credential
  • Prepared in same format as the original document
  • Typed on business or school letterhead stationery
  • Signed by a translator attesting to familiarity with the foreign language


Obtaining/Maintaining a Visa

If you are currently an international student in F-1 or J-1 status, intend to apply for a student visa outside of the U.S. or change your status to F-1 or J-1, please contact the Center for Global Engagement at or by calling 718.982.2100. The Center will give you information about obtaining the appropriate immigration forms (I-20 or DS-2019).