What is the SEEK Learning Center?
The SEEK Learning Center (SLC) is a physical space where SEEK students can come to enhance their academic skills . In addition to its welcoming atmosphere, students will find helpful tutors, and a supportive team of staff members. The Center is located in Building 1A, Room 108, and is operational Monday through Friday, from 9AM to 5PM. In-person, online, individual, and group tutoring are just some of the Center’s offerings.
SEEK Learning Center Services:
Students can take advantage of services for multiple sessions per day/week. In-person and online individual tutoring is offered in the following subjects:
Math and Sciences
English and Humanities
- Academic group workshops
- Specialized skill-building workshops
- Computer Lab Staffed by a Trained Lab Technician
- Personalized Academic Reviews (to assess & keep students on track)
- Self-Paced Workshops through the SEEK Virtual Office and Learning Center
- In-person and virtual workshop offerings ( schedules are posted in advance to allow students to plan ahead)
Below is an example of just a few available workshops:
Virtual Self-Paced Workshops
- Note Taking
- Study Skills
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Overcoming Test-Taking Anxiety
- Avoiding Plagiarism
- Career Searching Tips
Important SEEK Learning Center Information & Requirements:
SEEK students of all class standings are welcomed and encouraged to use the Center’s services. All SEEK students may choose to attend SLC workshops (in-person and online), get help with assignments, and study in the Center. As CSI students, SEEK students can use other tutoring labs on campus: however, the SEEK Learning Center should be their first point of contact. The Learning Center also makes referrals to other labs when appropriate. The below bullets outline the SEEK Learning Center requirements: (Proof of attendance must be submitted.)
- All First-year Freshmen and Students enrolled in courses with additional academic support :First-year freshmen, and students in courses with academic support components are required to attend tutoring for at least one hour each week. The first year of college can be very challenging. This requirement is to ensure that freshmen achieve academic success.
- Current Probation & Academic Warning Students: Students on academic warning or probation are required to attend tutoring one hour each week. Students must also make an appointment with their SEEK counselor to make a “Success Plan of Action.”
- Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors: Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors are encouraged to bring their papers and Math/Science questions. These students should visit the SEEK Learning Center so they can reach their full academic potential. In addition, if a professor recommends that a student should attend tutoring, we strongly encourage contacting the Center to make an appointment.
How to Make or Request an Appointment for Tutoring(SEEK STUDENTS ONLY):
Complete the SEEK Program Tutoring Request Form to request an appointment. Students can also schedule their own appointments through EAB Navigate using the instructions located at the top of the form. .
After an appointment is scheduled, students will receive a confirmation email with instructions to prepare for the session. We have include the link here as well. How to Prepare for Tutoring
Interested in Becoming a Tutor?
The SEEK Learning Center welcomes individuals that would like to assist with the academic development and success of SEEK students.
- A minimum of 24 competed credits
- A minimum 3.0 GPA in the subject to be tutored
- Two professor letters of recommendation in the subject to be tutored
Please contact Georgia Landrum, SEEK Learning Center Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the application process.
- Email questions regarding tutoring/academic assistance and the Learning Center to: SEEKLEARNINGCTR@CSI.CUNY.EDU
- Call to speak with a staff member: (718) 982-2412