Fall - May 15
Fall Admission Only
All supporting documents (e.g. official transcripts, recommendations, personal statement, etc.) can be emailed to email@example.com
The Advanced Certificate in Cultural Competence program at CSI is the first of its kind in the country. It has been developed and designed to help health care professionals:
- Advance and revitalize your career
- Increase your earning potential, marketability, and promotional opportunities
- Meet the health care and educational demands of an increasingly diverse population
- Meet accrediting agency and professional association mandates for cultural competence education
Developed and taught by an international scholar in Cultural Competence, CSI’s program is unique in many ways.
- The first and still one of the only advanced certificate programs in cultural competence
- Only currently existing advanced certificate program in cultural competence
- Accredited by New York State Department of Education
- Taught by an internationally renowned scholar
- Combines a variety of interactive teaching-learning activities online
- Online program completion in 1 academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring), 3 courses total
- Individualized student projects and papers according to students’ area of interest
- Assistance with library and online resources
If you are dedicated to expanding your professional development and being on the cutting edge of healthcare, this program will benefit you whether you work in a practice or an academic setting.
The certificate requires 9 credits and would enable graduates to become resources for the health care system in which they work.
|NRS 700 (3 credits)||Transcultural Concepts and Issues in Health Care|
|NRS 703 (3 credits)||Teaching and Learning for Cultural Competence Development|
|NRS 704 (3 credits)||Cultural Competence in Healthcare: Project Development|
All applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Nursing with a GPA of 3.0 or above in nursing courses, or a higher degree in Nursing, or other related fields.
Students already enrolled in a graduate nursing program at CSI, who successfully complete NRS 700 (a required course) and the necessary Advanced Certificate in Cultural Competence courses as electives (NRS 703 and NRS 704) for their program will receive the advanced certificate. This will not reduce the number of credits needed for their degree program. They do not need to submit an application for the Advanced Certificate Program in Cultural Competence; however, early registration for NRS 703 and 704 is encouraged.
The application must be completed online at Graduate Application.
Applicants must request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. If you are currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution, have one transcript sent now and another sent when you complete the courses that you are taking. Applicants who have been enrolled at CSI do not need to request a CSI transcript; the Office of Recruitment and Admissions will obtain a copy.
A $75.00 non-refundable application fee is required of all applicants. Please make your check or money order payable to the College of Staten Island. Veterans are exempt from paying the application fee. Veterans must provide proof of their Veteran/Military status in order to be waived from paying the application fee.
A personal goal statement of 300-500 words that describes their cultural competence goals.
English Proficiency Examination:
The TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exam is required of students for whom English is a second language.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Minimum required score is 79 (Internet). For additional information or to register for the exam, please visit the TOEFL website at www.ets.org. Our institutional code is 2778.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): We will only accept the academic exam scores. The minimum required score is 6.5 (overall band). For additional information or to register for the exam, please visit the IELTS website at www.ielts.org.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Minimum required score is 53. For additional information or to register for the exam, please visit the PTE website at www.pearsonpte.com.
All documents must be submitted to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
Office of Recruitment and Admissions, Graduate Unit
College of Staten Island, CUNY
2800 Victory Boulevard, Building 2A, Room 103
Staten Island, NY 10314