Additional Accomplishments 2019-2020
- Remote Support during COVID was a high priority. In this regard, IT provided VPN access to users in order to access files and shared directories from their office machines. In addition, Information Technology leveraged technology to “wake up machines” that may have lost power.The ability to use remote desktop allowing IT staff to remotely access user’s machines, with permission from the user first, in order to provide support has been especially helpful.
- IT successfully implemented CSI’s Telepresence Robot, Double, in order to provide opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to virtually attend class and meetings, if they could not be physically present.
- The programming team developed a customized screening application and workflow for campus entry. The application allows for coordination with a backend database of approved staff as well as easy to read color-coded classifications based on responses. Although CUNY’s application was implemented, CSI was able to leverage the approval process of this application, which CUNY’s application did not provide.
- The virtual server environment (VMWare) was enhanced, which reduced the physical footprint of our server farm by virtualizing many of our systems. This environment allowed for greater efficiencies in supporting applications as well as reduced the cost of environmental, maintenance and support.
- Device distribution – CUNY delivered 1000+ Chromebooks and iPads. The programming team developed a customized application that will eliminate duplicate entries and validate student requests against any holds in the system.
- A detailed phone inventory was completed reducing the # of extensions that were not utilized across campus. This inventory will assist with determining the number of licenses needed for a VoiP environment.
- Network wireless – reconfigured and renamed wireless access networks in order to simplify the access point authentication process and added guest access
- Windows 10 upgrade: Completed Windows 10 upgrade for all faculty/staff and students
- Completed the installation of SSD Drives in all computer labs to improve performance. This initiative proved to be of particular importance in order to support a virtual lab initiative
- Beginning in mid-March the Technology Training Center began offering remote classes on the applications that would serve the telecommuting efforts of the campus. Classes scheduled for faculty, staff and students continue. For a list of workshop offerings visit our training page.
- Archived video repository content – Downloaded the entire collection of videos housed on the Illumira video repository (formerly NJVID) as part of the end of life cycle for the service. In addition, several institutional usage reports were saved as a part of the archive.
- IOT - The College of Staten Island implemented a low cost solution to assist students with navigating our 204 acre campus. We are frequently being asked questions such as “Where is the Registrar?” or “How do I get to the Recreation Center.” Since our campus is very large and it is also difficult to differentiate buildings it became apparent that a wayfinding solution was needed. Using Google Maps, the College Community can navigate to their desired location following the “walking” directions. Taking it a step further, QR codes were created for each building providing the Directory of individuals in the building.
- IT expanded the installation of SSD Drives to numerous computer labs in order to improve speed and performance. This initiative proved to be of particular importance in order to support a virtual lab initiative.