What is the Double?
The Danny Double is a Telepresence Robot. It’s called the Double because it’s an extension of the user. As long as a person has access to the internet (from a computer, laptop or tablet, or smartphone) from anywhere in the world, and are given the necessary permissions, they can connect to the Double. You would be able to see that person through the Double’s iPad face, and hear them as well. Through the arrow buttons on a keyboard or screen, the user can easily maneuver the Double so that it can navigate a room, hallway, etc… This is great if you cannot be physically present at a place or event.
What Can the Double Be Used For?
- It can be useful helping students who cannot attend class for a prolonged period of time, such as if they are home-bound or hospitalized.
- It can help professors teach at a location when they cannot be physically present (e.g. St. George.)
- It can assist faculty and staff attend functions/meetings across campus, when they cannot be physically there.
- It can help college guests or vendors make their presentations or join meetings without having to do extensive travelling.
- It can encourage student engagement.
- Unlike Skype, the Double offers greater independence, such as when classes break into small groups for discussions, projects, etc…
What are Some Features of the Double?
- When connected to the Double, you can share your view with 5 other users (anywhere) so that on their computer, laptop, or phone, they all see what you see.
- You can display a website through the Double, which would be useful when conducting surveys or have other interaction with individuals or groups.
- You can share anything on your own computer to Double’s screen (e.g. documents, spreadsheets, images, etc…) so that others can see it.
- You can take a snapshot of what you see. For example, a student who is remotely connected to the Double can take a picture of the board or handouts given in class.
- You can also control the height of the Double. It can go from 4ft to 6ft, based on who you are addressing.
- You can zoom into a room. For example, a student can zoom into the blackboard.
How Can You Book the Double?
- In order to borrow the Double for an event, please fill out The Double Telepresence Robot Loan Form.
- You must sign in with your FLAS credentials. After reading the rules and regulations, please press the “Submit” button. Your application will then be sent to HelpDesk, upon which OITS personnel will contact you regarding your request.