Virtual CART Sessions
To start you successfully along your path, your first few months will be committed to orienting you into the College. This process consists of several strategically planned events that you must partake in to begin your educational career at CSI.
Your first step is to attend a mandatory CSI Advisement and Registration Training (CART) session to prepare you for your first semester at CSI. At the moment, we will be offering CART virtually through Blackboard.
Center for Advising and Academic Success
South Administration Building (1A), Room 101
Here both entering freshmen and transfer students can find yearly assistance with the major selection and declaration process, career testing and guidance, course selection, understanding general education requirements, interrupting academic policies and procedures, and NY State TAP progress assistance. All undecided students receive academic advising services through the Center for Advising and Academic Success. A photo ID is required of all students in order to receive advising and registration services.
First Year Students
At CSI, your Advisement and Registration experience begins at CSIs Advisement and Registration Training (CART) session after you have completed your testing process (if required) and once you have paid your tuition deposit (Admissions Response Form).
During the CART session you will:
- Obtain portal access;
- Review your testing results and viable general education courses that are applicable for you during your first semester at CSI;
- Select a Block (a pre-packaged set of courses linked together) and two additional courses (outside of the block) to form your class schedule and register for these classes via CUNYFirst;
- Be provided with a copy of your schedule, and referrals to meet with Financial Aid, Admissions, and the Bursar’s Office as needed.
Transfer students advisement and registration experience begins once their transcripts have been evaluated by the Office of the Registrar, all necessary testing requirements have been fulfilled and their tuition deposit has been paid. Upon completion of all above processes, students are then contacted to complete their course scheduling and registration process with the Center for Advising and Academic Success.
During this appointment, students meet with Transfer Registration and Advisement Communication (TRAC) Team members who will assist you in:
- Reviewing academic curriculum and major requirements;
- Declaration of a major;
- Determining appropriate general education courses needed at CSI;
- Developing your class schedule and registering for classes;
- Answering any academic policy or procedure questions;
- Providing you with a copy of your class schedule;
- Referring you to other desired offices.
As a rule, once students have officially declared their major and have completed 45 credits, they are assigned to that department or school for advisement from faculty mentors. For select majors, students are assigned directly to the department or school, as there are embedded specialty advisors to assist students with their academic planning. Students are encouraged to declare their major once they have earned 12 college-level credits, completed all remediation requirements, and are in good academic standing.