Qualifications to be a GPA:
- Current, full-time CSI student with a minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA
- In good standing with CSI (e.g. not on disciplinary probation)
- Knowledge of social media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, blogs, etc.
- Good working knowledge of different computer applications and programs (e.g. Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Photo Shop, etc.)
The following characteristics are essential to the GPA position:
- Sense of responsibility
- Comfort addressing students, parents, and faculty
- Ability to relate to variety of personality types
- Ability to work with a diverse group
- Leadership ability
- Good interpersonal and communication and writing skills
- Sense of Humor
- Commitment to work hours
Responsibilities of a GPA:
- Greet and welcome new international students and scholars, and provide information about orientation, workshops, social events, the Center for Global Engagement services,and CUNY and CSI services and resources through different social media channels and in person
- Speak to small groups of international students and scholars about topics related to getting startedand getting settled at CSI, including ID cards, banking, transportation, housing, cell phones,driver’s licenses, social security numbers, etc.
- Contribute to the Center’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, blogs and other social mediawith posts describing your personal experiences making the initial adjustment to CSI and the U.S.
- Share your experiences and suggestions with newly admitted and current international studentsthrough social media, video and online chats and other forums
- Conduct one-on-one initial interviews with new international students and study abroad returneeseach fall and spring semester
- Create videos on various topics related to international student and study abroad issues
- Other duties as assigned that relate to enhancing international student services at CSI
- Serve as members of the Center for Global Engagement staff
- Assist with Center for Global Engagement events including World on Wednesday (WOW), Study Abroad Fairs, International Coffee Hours, International Student workshops and International Education Week activities and other events as needed
Those students who are selected to be Global Peer Ambassadors will complete a training and then participate in meetings throughout the academic year. The time commitment, will be 3-5 hours per week, depending upon students’ availability and the schedule of activities and/or events. Global Peer Ambassador must be available to attend the check-in and orientation program for new international students in mid-August and mid-January.
Procedure to Apply:
Submit a resume and application to the Center for Global Engagement by email to: email@example.com by Monday, July 19, 2021.
The goal of the Global Peer Ambassador program is to assist in the transition of incoming F-1, J-1 students and scholars by providing support on a personal, social, and academic level to freshman, transfer and graduate students and scholars.