Resources for members of the CSI community affected by recent changes to US immigration enforcement
Statement by President William Fritz:
As President of CSI I applaud the recently released statement from Chancellor James B. Milliken concerning the President’s Executive Order on immigration and further express our deep commitment to our students, faculty, and staff from all corners of the globe. My recent report to the College Council, while focused on undocumented students, also encompasses a larger theme of commitment to our community. At the College of Staten Island, we continue to take pride in our institution as a place where serious conversations about difficult topics happen.
What to do if you or a someone you know is detained at an airport:
CUNY students, faculty or staff who are detained at the airport, or are abroad and need guidance, please contact CUNY Citizenship Now! attorney Isabel Bucaram, Esq. by text, phone or WhatsApp at 646.860.5678.
New York State has established a confidential toll-free hotline for New Yorkers to report family members, relatives, friends or colleagues believed to be passengers on flights coming into the state, but who are missing or believed to be detained: 1.888.769.7243.
Helpful links and information for impacted students, faculty, and other members of the CSI community
- CUNY Immigration Policy Changes
- NAFSA Travel Advisory
- CUNY CLEAR (Creating Law Enforcement Accountability & Responsibility)
- Educators' Guide to Talking to Immigrant & Refugee Children
- Rights No Matter Who Is President
- Know your rights: Traveling. Pamphlets in English, Arabic, Bangla, Urdu, and Spanish
- Know your rights: Law Enforcement. Pamphlets in English, Arabic, Bangla and Urdu
- CUNY Citizenship Now!
- New York State Office of New Americans
Telephone Hotline: 1.800.566.7636
- Governor Cuomo's Hate Crimes Reporting Hotline: 1.888.392.3644
New York City’s Hate Crimes Task Force: 1.646.610.5267
- CSI Public Safety phone number: 718.982.2113. If you are on campus and need immediate aid, or feel unsafe, you may call the CSI Public Safety office for assistance.
- CSI Counseling Center:
- The New York Immigration Coalition
- Safe Horizon
- Staten Island Child Advocacy Center (CAC)
- Project Hospitality
- Earth Guardians
- SURJ NYC
- Jewish Community Center of Staten Island