The Bachelor of Science in Earth and Environmental Science degree offered by the College of Staten Island provides students the opportunity to specialize in either geology or environmental science. Students in the program learn a range of lab and field techniques, acquiring the necessary skills to enter the workforce or graduate study.
Students completing the Bachelor of Science in Earth and Environmental Science will obtain the experience necessary for a variety of careers in the fields of geoscience and environmental science, both in private companies and governmental agencies. Currently in the United States, the top three industries hiring bachelor's degree graduates are environmental services, oil and gas, and the federal government. These industries are predicted to have an increasing number of future openings with entry at the bachelor's degree level. The curriculum also prepares students seeking to pursue graduate studies in earth and environmental sciences, including the M.S. in Environmental Science at CSI.
Geologists and Environmental Scientists perform many essential roles in society and graduates of the Earth and Environmental Science program can expect to become valued members of the Earth Science community. As such, the goals of this program are as follows:
- A graduate of the program will understand and apply the core concepts in Earth and Environmental Science.
- A graduate of the program will be scientifically and mathematically literate and be able to apply concepts from diverse scientific disciplines to problems in Earth and Environmental Science.
- A graduate of the program will have knowledge of and exhibit competence in current field and laboratory techniques in Earth and Environmental Science.
- A graduate of the program will be able to communicate scientific information and research results effectively.
- A graduate of the program will be equipped with the necessary skills to enter the workforce or graduate study.
Honors in Earth and Environmental Science:
Students in Earth and Environmental Science may graduate with honors if they maintain a 3.5 GPA in the major, and complete GEO 460 Capstone Research Seminar and Thesis.