Physics and Astronomy Department Overview
Welcome to the CSI Department of Physics and Astronomy! The faculty, undergraduates, and graduate students of the Department conduct leading-edge research in numerous areas of study including astrophysics and cosmology; theoretical and experimental condensed matter physics; theoretical nuclear and high-energy physics; photonics; and nanotechnology. We offer undergraduate Bachelor's of Science degrees in Physics (major and minor), including degrees with a focus in Astrophysics or in Teaching (grades 7-12). We also mentor and advise Ph.D. students in Physics and Astronomy through our consortium partnership with the CUNY Graduate Center; and we provide service courses in astronomy and physics to more than 2,000 CSI students each year.
Major and Minor
Physics 7-12 (BS)
Physics and Astronomy Events
Physics and Astronomy Faculty & Staff
Full Time Faculty
Irving K. Robbins, Observatory Director
Marie Gomes Marie.Gomes@csi.cuny.edu
College Lab Technician
Tracy Campbell Tracy.Campbell@csi.cuny.edu
Jackeline Figueroa Jackie.Figueroa@csi.cuny.edu
Matthew Miller Matthew.Miller@csi.cuny.edu
Victoria Rivelli Victoria.Rivelli@csi.cuny.edu
Prior News and Events
1. Our physics club is back in motion! The first two online events this year are scheduled to be on January 27 and February 8, between 3:30 pm and 4:00 pm. They feature Prof. Organesyan and Prof. Gorokhovsky, who will talk about their work before departing for their sabbatical leaves. The Zoom link can be found here, and please reach out to Prof. Liu for the password.
1. NASA's Webb telescope was launched to observe first galaxies and distant worlds. Find out more about it here.
1. Prof. Liu was featured in CUNY TV's recent Urban U series.
1. Prof. Oganesyan organized a mini-symposium on many-body localization. See info and sign-up link here.
2. Prof. Ge organized a mini-symposium on non-Hermitian photonics. See info and sign-up link here.
Alfred Levine Joint Appointment With Department of Engineering and Environmental Science
Our Astrophysical Observatory is dedicated to ongoing educational opportunities and the environmental needs of the present.
Professor Charles Liu