The mandatory New Student Orientation (NSO) is the last step of the enrollment process for students newly admitted to CSI. All incoming-students with less than six transfer credits are required to attend NSO and must complete all the necessary steps of the enrollment process in order to become eligible to register for NSO. Students are strongly encouraged to review the steps below, which will guide admitted students through the enrollment process and to the road to becoming eligible to register for NSO.
- You must first apply to the College of Staten Island (CSI) using the CUNY admissions application. After receiving an offer of acceptance to the College, you must inform the Office of Recruitment and Admissions of your intentions to enroll by submitting your online Admission Response Form/Commitment Deposit
- If you applied for financial aid using the FASA and your SAR has an estimated family contribution (EFC) of $3000 or less, you may be waived from the commitment deposit
For more information about applying to CSI, offer of admission, and the college’s commitment deposit, please contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions at 718.982.2010 or visit building 2A, room 103.
- All students entering CSI must demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics through a series of CUNY Skills Assessment Tests prior to the mandatory NSO.
- Some students may satisfy this requirement by achieving the necessary scores on Regents, ACT, or SAT exams. You will automatically receive a testing appointment in the mail. Please try your best to make your first scheduled appointment, as it will impact your ability to enroll. The outcomes of these tests may impact your admission status and enrollment at the college.
- The purpose of the CUNY Skills Assessment Tests is to ensure that students have the skills necessary to take advantage of the opportunities for learning provided by the College. Students lacking these skills can receive special assistance to help prepare them for college work pending the results of their tests. Students who do not meet the CUNY standards should enroll in the basic skills program, which CSI offers, if they are eligible to do so. Students who opt out of a basic skills program, and are eligible to do so, will have to enroll in remedial courses during the regular academic semester.
- The Office of Academic Support offers a variety of workshops and self-study materials for newly admitted CSI students who need to take the CUNY Assessment Tests. In addition to the workshops, online reference materials are available for students who choose to prepare for their initial assessment tests on their own.
CONDITIONAL ADMISSIONS/REMEDIATION POLICY for NON-EXEMPT STUDENTS
The outcomes of the CUNY Assessments Tests may impact students’ admission status and enrollment at the college. Please be aware of the following enrollment requirements:
For students admitted for a Fall Semester, who have failed
- parts 1 & 2 of the CUNY Assessment Test in Mathematics are required to complete CSI's free July Math Immersion program prior to enrolling at the College.
- the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics (parts 1 & 2) cannot participate in Immersion. These students must enroll in and complete at least one semester of the CUNYStart program and pass one or more of the Assessment Tests in order to enroll at the college.
- the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading and Writing but have failed one part of the Mathematics Test must enroll in and complete Reading and Writing Immersion in the July and August sessions. Upon completing Immersion, these students must have passed the Reading and Writing Assessment tests in order to enroll at the College and must register for and complete Math 020 in the semester following Immersion. Students who have not passed both must enroll in CUNYStart.
Students who have failed the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading and Writing but have passed at least one part of the Mathematics Test and decide not to enroll in Immersion must enroll in CUNYStart.
In addition to the above policies, students admitted for a Spring Semester
- who passed the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading and Writing but failed Mathematics (parts 1 & 2) must enroll in basic math in Winter Immersion. If they pass, they must enroll in and complete Math 020 in the spring semester. If they do not pass, or choose not to enroll in Immersion, they must enroll in CUNYStart and cannot enroll at the College.
- who have failed two of the three CUNY Assessment Tests (Reading, Writing and Mathematics) must enroll in and complete at least one semester of the CUNYStart program and cannot participate in Immersion.
English as a Second Language (ESL) Students:
- If you qualify as an ESL student (including qualifying international students) you are exempt from the policies listed above. ESL students will be required to complete special English courses for non-native speakers of English. When possible, ESL students are encouraged to enroll in the CUNY Language Immersion Program (CLIP)
Students should retrieve the results of their CUNY Assessment Tests in person with a valid photo ID from the College Testing Office in building 1A, room 104. When a student has satisfied their admissions and testing requirements, and they are in compliance with the College’s remediation policy, a student becomes eligible to register for NSO. For additional questions regarding college testing, please contact the College Testing Office at 718.982.2380 or visit building 1A, room 104.
3. IMMERSION PROGRAMS (FOR REMEDIAL STUDENTS ONLY)
- The Immersion Programs are intensive workshops which provide an opportunity for students who need to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and/or mathematics to receive tuition-free instruction during the summer and /or January intersession. Students are placed into the immersion programs based on their performance on the CUNY Assessment Tests. The Immersion Programs are coordinated by the Office of Academic Support
- Students who enroll in the Immersion Programs are ready to be scheduled for the mandatory NSO
- Students enrolled in the Immersion Programs, must not miss class instruction to attend NSO. Students must attend a NSO session that does not conflict with the program
- Students are encouraged to act quickly in reserving their seat for an immersion program in order to ensure their ability to enroll at the College and for NSO.
For additional questions regarding immersion courses, registration for an immersion program, and the college remediation policy, please contact the Office of Academic Support at 718.982.3964 or visit building 1L, room 117.
4. ADVISEMENT & REGISTARTION TRAINING (ART) SESSION
- Students will also receive an email invitation from The Center for Advising and Academic Success (CAAS) directing them to their VIP Page, which is set-up through the Office of Recruitment and Admissions, and will provide them with instructions on how to register for an ART Session. Students must register in order to attend ART.
Additional information regarding ART is available here.
If you have any questions, please contact the Center for Advising and Academic Success (CAAS) at: Building 1A, Room 101; 718.982.2280; email@example.com.
5. NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION
- Students must register and attend NSO in order to attend CSI. For more information on NSO, visit our FAQ page.
- Students will be given the opportunity to enroll in the mandatory NSO session during the ART session.
- Students who miss their NSO appointment cannot be guaranteed a new appointment as it is subject to availability and space. Therefore, it is strongly encouraged that students make their best effort to attend their scheduled NSO session
- When a student has completed their registration for NSO, a confirmation email will be sent to the provided email address with a checklist of what to complete prior to attending NSO
For additional questions regarding NSO, registering for an NSO session, or changing a scheduled appointment date for NSO, please contact the New Student Programs at 718.982.2529 or visit building 2A, room 208.
We Look forward to seeing you at the College of Staten Island!