Chemistry Department Overview
The Department of Chemistry offers undergraduate degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry. Both degrees are accredited by the American Chemical Society (ACS). Our undergraduate program is innovative, directed to the career needs of our students, and provides opportunities for extracurricular and research activities. Our course offerings are intended to promote scientific reasoning, to develop lab skills and prepare students for graduate and professional schools as well as employment in industry.
The Department combines outstanding physical facilities with a close-knit community of scholars. Our faculty members include professors who are nationally and internationally recognized in their fields. The department faculty members participate in PhD programs (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Physics and Molecular Biophysics) at CUNY.
The CSI Chemistry and Biochemistry degrees are accredited by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Spring 2023 Virtual Infosession Series
CSI’s Chemistry and Biochemistry Programs—Stepping Stones to Careers in the Health Sciences: MD, OD, DDS, PharmD, DPT, DNP, and More
The College of Staten Island offers a path to Professional Schools in the Health Sciences in Medicine, Dentistry, Physician Assistant and more. We also offer partnerships with SUNY for the Doctor of Pharmacy and Doctor of Optometry degrees, as well as our own Clinical Doctorate degrees in Physical Therapy and Nursing Practice. Additional PhDs in Biochemistry and Polymer Chemistry are also available.
Join us for in-depth discussion on pre-required coursework, curriculum, and how to build your research portfolio.
Date: Thursday, February 16, 2023
Time: 6:30pm EST
Please make a reservation to attend this virtual event—we will send a confirmation and zoom meeting link.
Meet Our Faculty and Staff:
- Qiao-Sheng Hu, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department of Chemistry
- Chwen-Yang Shew, Ph.D., Professor, Deputy Chair and Pre-Health Advisor, Department of Chemistry
- Holly Block, Assistant Director for Recruitment, Recruitment and Admissions
College of Staten Island (CSI/CUNY)—University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (UB SPPS/SUNY) Collaborative Programs Leading to a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree (PharmD)
- Students may choose Biology (BIO), Chemistry (CHM) or Biochemistry (BCH) as a major
- Students may opt to pursue a choice of three CSI to UB pathways, two of them accelerated: 6 years (2 years at CSI + 4 years at UB), 7 years (3 years at CSI + 4 years at UB) as well as a more traditional route of 8 years (4 years at CSI + 4 years at UB). All options begin with taking prerequisite degree requirements at CSI and completing the PharmD degree at UB SPPS
- All three options (2+4, 3+4 and 4+4) will guarantee at least two seats each year in UB’s PharmD Program to CSI students who meet certain qualifications
- One-on-one academic advisement from the Collaborative Program Coordinators
- at CSI and UB for the duration of the Program
- Significant cost savings of over $150k (compared to equivalent programs at a private college) over the course of undergraduate studies at CSI (AS or BS) and PharmD at UB
- Excellent job prospects—the University of Buffalo PharmD Program ranks #14 nationally and #1 in New York State (U.S. News & World Report)
- This top-notch CSI/UB Pharmacy Program offers a rich academic experience with renowned professors and access to a wide range of state-of-the-art research facilities at both CSI and UB
Interested in this program? Please complete the following inquiry form so that we may reach out to you.
Questions? Please email Dr. Chwen-Yang Shew, Pharmacy Advisor, Department of Chemistry or Holly Block, Assistant Director for Recruitment.
CSI Offers the Doctor of Optometry Degree (OD) via Affiliate Partnership with SUNY College of Optometry
The College of Staten Island is listed with the above professional graduate school as offering an affiliation program whereby highly qualified students may complete a joint Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree conferred by College of Staten Island and a Doctor Optometry (OD) degree conferred by SUNY College of Optometry in just seven years instead of the usual eight. Selected academically talented high school seniors and college freshmen can be admitted to an approved joint degree track at CSI and, simultaneously, to candidacy for admission to the professional OD program at SUNY College of Optometry.
PhD Program In Chemistry
PhD Program In Biochemistry
Areas of Expertise
Programs in Chemistry Department
Chemistry Faculty & Staff
Full Time Faculty
- Abbasov, Anar
- Balambika, Rema
- Dang, Soa
- Derbyshire, Dawn
- Feng, ChunMin
- Li, Qi
- Liu, Carol
- Malz, Abraham
- Park, Tai
Advanced Imaging Facility
The AIF is a shared core facility under the Division of Science and Technology at CSI that houses advanced imaging systems
CUNY High Performance Computing Center
The HPCC has a central role in the support of initiatives in economic development and provides assistance with sustaining intellectual growth
The CSI Chemsitry department has a wide array of research quality instruments available to our students
Chairperson and Professor
Administrative Assistant to the Chairperson